Saturday 4 February 2012

The Dream...


Yesterday was time for ballet...
I couldn't believe it when on Tuesday morning, casually looking through my emails and sipping coffee from my new Audrey Hepburn mug (thank you very much, Carmen Manzano), I saw an email from the Royal Opera House. I was expecting it to be advertising for their new Opera which I can't afford... but no, it was an offer of 10 pound tickets for the Double Bill: The Dream (Midsummer night's) and Songs of the Earth. I gave a very high pitched scream and run to get my purse and book them.  I hadn't been to see a ballet at the Royal Opera since 2008; the thought of dressing up, waltzing around the red carpeted halls and laughing at the over dressed +65 women... made me squeal with pleasure.
It is lovely to be in central London on a week day. It means you can walk through Covent Garden instead of being pushed (and pushing)  around by lost tourists, Essex families, Japanese people with enormous cameras and groups of exchange students. I had never realized how beautiful the pavement was... I don't think I was ever able to see it.

The ballet was beautiful. I had forgotten how soothing but at the same time energizing it was. The experience is incomparable. Dancers have such grace, they move through the stage as if they couldn't touch the floor. The Dream had an enchanting set, a forest with trees and even a cave for Titania to sleep in. The costumes were amazing, especially the fairies. Songs of the Earth was a bit different, more modern. The set was bare but the lightning changes enhightened the simplicity. An opera singer would come and sing on stage each song as the dancers were performing.


It also made me a bit sad to think that I don't dance anymore. It used to be such  an important part of my life that it feels wrong to be without it. Maybe I will look up some studios.... it is either that or joggining in the morning because I have to do something with all the Ben & Jerrys, shortbread and toast that I've been eating lately. DON'T JUDGE! It has been essay writing time....

XOXO

P.D All photos are by Will Bowden

Shirt and skirt: Zara
Coat: Miss Behave Vintage
Tights: Calzedonia
Necklace: Vintage
Shoes: Bimba y Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment