Wednesday 20 November 2013

The Edge of Love. Costumes...


The Edge of Love tells the story of Welsh poet Dylan Thomas and the two most important women in his life, Vera Phillips and Caitlin Thomas. It might not be the best historically-correct movie ever written (the affair between Thomas and Phillips was never confirmed) but it is enhanced for dramatic purposes. However, the 1940s costume design is beautiful and well researched. Designer April Ferry (Maverick, 1994) said this about the costumes: My inspiration for the clothes came from many sources but the most important one was the director, John Maybury. Dresses and wellies were his idea and that defines the most important look of the film. I studied all the books on Dylan Thomas's life and looked at all the available pictures of him and his associates. There is wonderful research of that era in London. I immersed myself in as much as I could collect".
Personally, I love the swift change from the glamorous, night dresses mixed with uniforms of London to the countryside in Wales, full of knitwear, wellies and floral dresses.


XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment