Thursday 1 May 2014

Snapshots. 10th Anniversary of "Mean Girls"


The New Yorker
Why "Mean Girls" Is a Classic
Richard Brody - 30/04/2014

When I mentioned to my daughters that it’s the tenth anniversary of the release of “Mean Girls,” it was no news to them: the firstborn, now twenty-one, is wearing her “You can’t sit with us” T-shirt, and her sister, sixteen, is dressed in pink (it’s Wednesday). They knew the movie by heart long before they knew from high school. To the catchphrases that were common coin at home, from “Singin’ in the Rain,” “Marnie,” “The Gang’s All Here,” “The Little Mermaid,” “Mary Poppins,” and “Legally Blonde,” there was added a torrent of word vomit:

“Four for Glenn Coco! You go, Glenn Coco! None for Gretchen Wieners.”

“You can’t just ask people why they’re white.”

“You will get chlamydia and die.”

“It’s like I have ESPN or something.”

“Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right?”

“I’m the cool mom.”

And, of course, the inevitable “I can’t help it if I’ve got a heavy flow and a wide-set vagina.” And “Well, this has been sufficiently awkward.”


XOXO



P.D. Read the full article at The New Yorker website 

No comments:

Post a Comment